Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Only in Mexico

Yesterday we just wandered around the area of Weslaco for a bit.  It's the town just to our west.N  othing major.  Lots of bougainvilleas blooming in different areas.



It was crazy windy again yesterday, and pretty windy today too.

I thought I needed a hair trim today, so we decided to head back to Nuevo Progreso, Mexico, to do that.  See what kind of a deal I could get.  Well, I'm not so sure it was a deal.  Yes, it only cost $5 but here's the story:  I went in - "When can I get a hair cut?"  "Right now" - and there's the guy there with the bleached hair.  OK, he looks the part, but he can't speak a word of English.  Hmmm.  He puts the apron around me and combs my hair, parting it in a couple of different spots.  So far, so good.  Then he starts to cut at the nape of my neck.  OK.  I said, "I just want a trim", and showed him the shape (or what it's supposed to be) of my hair.  He nodded.  He proceeded to squirt water on my hair ('cause they don't wash it), and trim the nape of my neck.  He then combed my hair again, and started blow drying.  I'm thinking, "what"?  So he dried all his water-squirting with a brush and blow dryer.  Then he cut my bangs straight across (which I could have done).  Done!  I'm not sure why he parted my hair before cutting it.  Really wasn't necessary, but it looked like the right thing to do.

Well, at least I got my bangs cut...that was needed.  What a deal!?!?  Oh, and the guy who could speak English told me my stylist couldn't trim any more because it wasn't long enough to do that style I indicated.

I think Gerard got ripped off when we were there the last time.  He paid $6 to have his SHORTER hair trimmed.  Can't wait to tell Ann, my hair stylist, when I get home.  And no...no photo.

We picked up a couple of things, like honey, and some little salsa bowls I really like, for the cottage.

Gerard and I went down the street to have a beer at an outdoor bar called Ground Zero Bar.



Dos Equis with lime and salt (I thought that was only for margaritas, especially the salt?).  Well, it was only $1.50.  If we had had the Amber, it would have only been $1.



Everyone comes along while you're at the bar, tapping you on the shoulder and trying to sell you stuff, or just begging for money.  They're good about not persisting, but everyone is in on it...men,  women, and children.

Some interesting drinks.



This is where the bartender went to get his supplies.  He put a chair up on the bar and climbed on top of that to get up.  You wouldn't see that in Canada.  Workers' Compensation would be hot on your trail!

So that's our excitement for the day.





5 comments:

  1. definitely sounds like a very exciting day over the border! for all your inconveniences, at least you didn't spend much money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite humorous really. I said to Dad before we went, "Where are we going after? Will just have my hair done, and nowhere to go!" Haha - we laughed about that afterward.

      Delete
  2. It just doesn't seem fair to tell that story with no pictures! A good deal on the beer, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I know, eh? I'm not sure about the "Sperm Bank" either. Pictures, pictures.

      Delete